Police have released footage of the arrests of four men alleged to have robbed, assaulted and shot a truckie near Lithgow earlier this year.
Following extensive inquires and a public appeal for information, strike force detectives executed a crime scene warrant at a property at Luddenham and six search warrants at homes at Campbelltown, Ambarvale, Bradbury, Mount Annan and Primbee from 6am today.
During the operation, four men – aged 30, 29, 28 and 23 – were arrested and taken to local police stations, where charges are expected to be laid.
About 5am on Tuesday, September 29, emergency services were called to the Great Western Highway at Mount Lambie, following reports a truck driver had been shot.
Police were told that the truck driver – a 42-year-old Western Australian man – had been sleeping in the vehicle, pictured below, when a group of unknown men forced entry to the cabin.
The men assaulted the truck driver, dragged him from the vehicle and shot him twice in his right upper thigh and right foot.
The group then stole personal items – including a large quantity of cash – from the truck, before fleeing the area in other vehicles.
The truck driver was treated at the scene by paramedics, before being airlifted to Westmead Hospital. He underwent surgery and has since been released.
Officers from Chifley Police District commenced inquiries into the incident, before detectives from the State Crime Command’s Criminal Groups Squad took carriage of the investigation under Strike Force Hathern.
Richard Olsen, NSW State Secretary, Transport Workers’ Union, welcomed the news of the arrests.
“It’s the kind of attack that has happened before and unfortunately may happen again,” said the Big Rigs columnist.
“The driver was stopped at the site of an old service station in Mt Lambie, a site used frequently by heavy vehicle operators because the official rest area in that region is inadequate for truck drivers to park up and rest.
“The Mt Lambie Rest Area is typical of many rest areas across NSW and in other states. TWU inspection records show that it is not fit for purpose, there is no CCTV, no amenities and no security.”
UPDATE: December 4
The men were all charged with kidnap in company with intent to commit serious indictable occasion actual bodily harm, robbery in company cause wounding/grievous bodily harm, discharge firearm intend cause grievous bodily harm, and participate criminal group contribute criminal activity.
The Sydney men appeared at Campbelltown Local Court today (Thursday 3 December 2020), and were formally refused bail to appear at the same court on Wednesday (9 December 2020).
The Wollongong man was refused bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court today (Thursday 3 December 2020).