As heavy rain continues to wreak havoc in NSW and flood waters rise, Road Freight NSW has issued an update on road closures.
Around 18,000 people have already been evacuated and there are fears a further 15,000 could be forced to do the same, with conditions worsening overnight.
“Tomorrow may be sunny day, but the situation will not be lessened as a result of the sunshine. The Premier has said that tomorrow rivers will still be receiving major flows and flooding may occur in Western Sydney in places that have been unanticipated,” said Simon O’Hara, CEO at Road Freight NSW.
“The forecast today from the Premier is that rural areas of NSW will now be faced by significant flooding in the coming days.
“Freight has continued operating in difficult situations and we commend operators for their patience and tireless efforts in ensuring freight kept moving as roads, towns and regions were swallowed by flood waters.”
Here’s the latest from Road Freight NSW regarding road closures:
In the state’s North:
- Between Moree and the Queensland border – The Newell Highway and Carnarvon Highway are both closed.
- At Biniguy, east of Moree – the Gwydir Highway is closed, east of Gretai Road.
- Between Coopernook and Cundletown – one lane of the Pacific Highway is open in each direction.
- Vehicles are being escorted through the area in very limited numbers and under a reduced speed limit.
- Between Glenthorne and Taree – Manning River Drive is closed over the Martin Bridge.
- Between Walcha and Gloucester – Thunderbolts Way is closed.
- At Krambach – The Bucketts Way is closed between Saxbys Road and Roys Road.
- At Failford – Failford Road is closed between the Pacific Highway and The Lakes Way.
- The Oxley Highway is closed between Sancrox and Long Flat, as well as between Walcha and Mount Seaview.
- Between Macksville and Nambucca Heads – Giinagay Way is closed between the Pacific Highway and Edgewater Drive.
- Between Thora and Dorrigo Mountain – Waterfall Way is closed.
- At Corindi Beach – Solitary Islands Way is closed between Blackadder Road and Coral Street.
In the Hunter/Central Coast:
- At Singleton – the Golden Highway is closed between Range Road and New England Highway.
- Between Cliftleigh and Gillieston Heights – Main Road/Cessnock Road is closed between Avery Lane and Russell Street.
- At Charmhaven – the Pacific Highway is closed between Lowana Avenue and Costa Avenue.
- In Anna Bay, Nelson Bay Road is closed between Salamander Way and Frost Road.
In Sydney’s North West and West:
- At Penrith – Castlereagh Road has reopened between Thornton Drive and Jane Street.
- At Windsor: Windsor Bridge is closed between Macquarie Street and Wilberforce Road; Windsor Road is closed between Pitt Town Road and Court Street, and Macquarie Street is closed between Brabyn Street and Bell Street.
- At North Richmond – North Richmond Bridge is closed.
- At Yarramundi – Yarramundi Bridge is closed.
- At Colo – Colo River Bridge is closed.
- At Clarendon – Hawkesbury Valley Way is closed between Moses Street and just west of Percival Street.
- At Pitt Town – Pitt Town Road is closed between Saunders Road and Glebe Road.
- At Riverstone – Garfield Road West is closed between West Parade and Carnarvon Road.
- At Wilberforce – Wilberforce Road is closed between Freemans Reach Road and Rose Street.
- Between Cattai and South Maroota – Wisemans Ferry Road is closed across the Cattai Creek Bridge between Mitchell Park Road and Sackville Ferry Road.
- Between Bell and Mount Tomah – Bells Line of Road is closed in both directions.
In Sydney’s North:
- Between North Narrabeen and Oxford Falls – Wakehurst Parkway is closed
- At Oxford Falls – Oxford Falls Road is closed between Wakehurst Parkway and Aroona Road
In Sydney’s South:
- Audley Weir is closed in the Royal National Park.
- At Menangle Park – Menangle Road is closed over the Nepean River.
- At Douglas Park – Douglas Park Drive (causeway) is closed between Moreton Park Road and Mitchell Place.
In the State’s South:
- The Illawarra Highway is closed at Macquarie Pass as well as at Albion Park (between Tongarra Road and Croome Lane).
- Between Mittagong and Bowral – Mittagong/Bowral Road has reopened between Old Bowral Road and Kangaloon Road.
In the State’s West:
- In Nyngan – The Mitchell Highway has reopened between the Barrier Highway and Paynes Road.
For the latest traffic updates, click here.