Transport for NSW has advised that Burley Griffin Way, between the Olympic Highway at Wallendbeen and Millvale Road at Temora has closed to all traffic.
The road was closed on Tuesday after damage was discovered on the railway bridge and road surface.
Road and bridge inspectors are inspecting the site with more detailed assessments on the railway bridge, which is maintained by John Holland Rail, planned for later this week.
TfNSW says it is working with John Holland and Cootamundra – Gundagai Council on minimising local traffic impact until repairs are complete.
At this stage, it is anticipated the road may be closed for several weeks with more detailed information to be shared with the community as soon as possible, said TfNSW.
While the road is closed, truckies are asked to detour via the Olympic Highway and Goldfields Way, which may add an additional 40 minutes travel time to journeys.
As the Olympic Highway through Wallendbeen is a PBS route, PBS vehicles should use alternative approved routes suitable for their combination, advised TfNSW.
Freight operators seeking further information about permits or alternative routes should contact Heavy Vehicle Access Coordinator Craig Gibbins on 0428 410 626.
Road freight operators can also refer to Transport for NSW’s Restricted Access Vehicle online mapping site at nswroads.work/ravmap.
Meanwhile, the Temora Shire Council has updated the latest road closures in the region on its Facebook page this morning with the below:
– Newell Highway is closed at West Wyalong (eastern side heading towards Forbes). Detour via Burley Griffin Way to Temora and then onto Milvale Rd to Young. A significant increase in traffic will be seen along this route. Council urges residents to be mindful of these changed conditions and if concerned about road pavement conditions to contact Council on 6980 1100.
*Inspections and road condition assessments are ongoing*
– Burley Griffin Way (Between Temora and Wallendbeen) – Closed due to Railway Bridge Failure at Wallendbeen. This closure is likely to be in place for an extended period of time, access to Springdale and Stockinbingal residents provided.
– Mary Gilmore Way (Barmedman to Grenfell) – CLOSED & IMPASSABLE (Impassable section is between Trungley Hall Rd and Morangarell Rd due to pavement damage)
– Morangarell Rd – CLOSED with pavement damage
– Grogan Rd – CLOSED with pavement damage
Closures on Mary Gilmore Way, Morangarell Rd and Grogran Rd likely to extend through next week.
– Boginderra Rd is closed
– Baldwins Lane is closed
– Howards Road – CLOSED with pavement damage
– Bundawarrah Rd (gravel section) is closed
– Bartondale Rd (causeway/gravel Section) – CLOSED with pavement damage
– Research Station Rd is closed
– Grogan Stockinbingal Rd (Between Milvale Rd and Stockinbingal) NOW OPEN
Goldfields Way towards Wagga from Temora is open
Goldfields Way (Between Temora and West Wyalong) is open
Burley Griffin Way – Ariah Park direction Temora to the Newell Highway remains open.