A dedicated ‘freight-friendly’ Covid testing site is opening in Wetherill Park tomorrow, aiming to make it easier for heavy vehicle drivers to get tested in the Greater Sydney area.
The site at 250 Victoria Street is open from 7am Saturday, August 7, and will be supported by pathology staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Paul Toole said the Sydney pop-up site was in addition to the five sites already open along key freight routes across the state.
“The NSW Government has been working closely with the freight industry, which is doing a phenomenal job to keep essential goods moving into our communities through this pandemic,” Toole said.
“We know that heavy vehicles are not able to easily access the large majority of the current community testing locations, and these pop-up sites make it easier for our truckies to get tested and get back on the road.
“With increased mandatory testing requirements in place for freight workers across multiple jurisdictions, we have seen unprecedented demand on our freight testing sites, so opening Sydney’s first site tomorrow will be very welcome news.”
Minister for Transport and Roads Andrew Constance said the Sydney-based site will provide operators with more choice as they carry out their essential work.
“The new Wetherill Park site will allow truck drivers safe and efficient access to Covid-19 tests which will help them remain safe as they move across the state,” Constance said.
“This facility is a welcome addition to our already existing freight Covid-19 testing sites at key transport routes, as it will help support the freight industry comply with testing requirements.”
A dedicated Covid testing facility for truckies also opened at the BP in Charlton, west of Toowoomba, from 8am today.
NSW freight testing locations
- 250 Victoria Street, Wetherill Park, Sydney. Assisted testing by pathology staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Taree Service Centre, Pacific Highway. Assisted testing by pathology staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Narrabarba rest area, Princes Highway. Telehealth is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Forbes Caltex Service Centre, Newell Highway. Assisted testing on weekdays, with telehealth in place at night and on weekends.
- Narrandera Roadhouse, Newell Highway. Assisted testing by pathology staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Tarcutta truck change-over yard, Sydney Street, off Hume Highway. Assisted testing by pathology staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week.