Grant applications are now open for initiatives that deliver safety improvements across Australia’s heavy vehicle industry, protect all road users and grow the economy.
The $5.6 million pool is open to both community and industry groups as part of Round 7 of the Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative (HVSI).
National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) CEO Sal Petroccitto said there were already 74 applications submitted under the last round of the program and hoped to see even more quality projects put forward.
“I urge community and industry groups with tangible, effective ideas that align with the theme Safer Drivers, Safer Vehicles, Safer Road Use to submit your application and make a difference,” Petroccitto said.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Barnaby Joyce said the heavy vehicle industry plays a key role in driving Australia’s economy forward.
“Heavy vehicles move the goods and commodities Australians rely on to where they are needed – be that ports, supermarkets, or factories,” Joyce said.
Assistant Minister for Road Safety and Freight Transport Scott Buchholz said the Federal Government had so far allocated around $33.6 million through the HVSI.
“I’ve seen firsthand the safety solutions these projects deliver, such as the trial of a livestock Parallel Access Landing frame in Kilcoy, Queensland which prevents the risk of drivers climbing and falling from the vehicle crate or being struck when loading or unloading livestock,” Buchholz said.
Applications for Round 7 funding are open until February 14, 2022. Projects must be implemented during the 2022-23 financial year and be completed within two years of commencement.
For more information, or to view the submission guidelines, click here.