Road crews are working hard to get freight moving again in Far North Queensland in the aftermath of ex-Tropical Jasper, reports the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Here are the TMR’s latest heavy vehicle route access updates (as of 8.30am, December 21).
Access into Mareeba
25/26m B-doubles can access Mareeba using the approved 25/26m B-double route from Townsville to Mareeba via:
- Hervey’s Range Road or Flinders Highway
- Gregory Development Road
- Kennedy Highway
- East Evelyn Road
- Millaa Milla Malanda Road
- Marks Lane
- Tinaroo Falls Dam Road
- Tolga Kairi Road
- Kennedy Highway.
Access into Cairns
25/26m B-doubles can also access Cairns from Townsville along the approved 25/26m B-double network via the Bruce Highway.
Major roads that have opened
- Kennedy Highway – Kuranda Range (Cairns to Mareeba) – Reduced to single lane in multiple locations through the range under traffic control arrangements. Limited to General Access Heavy Vehicles up to 42.5 tonne.
- Kuranda Range is the preferred freight route for general access heavy vehicles accessing Mareeba from Cairns.
- Gillies Range Road – The road is open to light traffic (passenger traffic) and rigid heavy vehicles that are no longer than 12m and less than 25 tonne.
- Bruce Highway Cairns to Townsville.
Major roads that have opened ONLY to emergency/freight vehicles up to 25 tonne
- Mulligan Highway from Mareeba to Mossman – Mount Molloy Road.
- Mossman – Mount Molloy Road.
Major roads that are still closed
- Palmerston Highway (range section) – Likely to be closed for an extended period. TMR is currently assessing the damage to understand the works required and potential timeframes.
- Captain Cook Highway (multiple locations between Palm Cove and Oak Beach) – extended closure while TMR works to clear debris.
- Mulligan Highway north of Mossman – Mount Molloy Road.
- Burke Developmental Road (multiple locations)
- Mossman – Daintree Road
- Peninsula Developmental Road (multiple locations)
- Shiptons Flat Road
- Endeavour Valley Road.
TMR advises road conditions are continuously being monitored, assessed and reviewed. Conditions can change quickly, particularly due to weather.
Due to the dynamic nature of this weather event, the road conditions can change rapidly with flooding and landslides. For up-to-date information on road closures visit QLDTraffic or call 13 19 40.
Check the Conditions of Operation Database for restrictions specific to heavy vehicle operators.