Isuzu Australia has today announced the company’s decision to withdraw from the 2021 Brisbane Truck Show.
The Directors, Executives and Leadership Team have weighed the balance between the health and welfare of company staff and the ongoing risk of the foreseeable recurrence of state-based border closures and snap lockdowns, against the benefits of attending the show.
Isuzu said it recognises that event organisers are confident that the show will proceed, and the company wishes the event every success for 2021.
According to IAL Director and Chief Operating Officer, Andrew Harbison, the company held off making the decision not to attend for as long as possible.
“At the end of 2020 we held high hopes and confidence the new year would bring a very different outlook than last year. However, we have already endured snap-lock downs and numerous border closures,” Harbison said.
“We wanted to ensure that we were acting on the most up to date information and have been constantly monitoring the outlook and viability of attending this year’s show for IAL and our people.
“While the current situation with COVID and the commencement of the vaccination program is positive; given that IAL is based in Melbourne and the responsibility to our staff and the level of commitment we make when attending events such as the Brisbane Truck Show, we have decided that unfortunately we cannot exhibit this year.”
Isuzu said it will continue with its sponsorship of the Truck Apprentice Challenge at the 2021 event and will support the challenge with local field staff.
The show has now lost four of the biggest drawcards from the main exhibition floor – the others are Volvo, Scania and Cummins – but organisers Heavy Vehicle Industry Association (HVIA) are adamant the event will be held as planned from May 13-16.
HVIA has been approached for comment on Isuzu’s withdrawal.