News

Safety solution sought for busy intersection

Following a truck crash last month that injured five people at a dangerous Melbourne intersection, authorities are still looking for a long-term safety fix.

The incident occurred on the notorious City Road and Power Street intersection in Southbank on May 6, when a B-double cut a corner and hit five pedestrians waiting to cross the road at the lights.

All five pedestrians were taken to hospital, with two critical. The truck driver didn’t stop, but was arrested soon after.

The Victorian Government is looking at ways to improve safety at this intersection, as well as other similar intersections across Melbourne.

For now, the first phase of works will include the installation of bollards to better separate the road and pavement, as well as warning signs about turning trucks and technology to minimise waiting periods for pedestrians.

“This is a complex intersection in a busy, high-density area of Melbourne – we’re delivering immediate upgrades to protect the community and make City Road safer for all road users while we get on and develop a long-term safety solution,” said Minister for Roads and Road Safety Ben Carroll.

The bollards will be installed on the corner where the crash occurred alongside signs.

Markings will warn pedestrians and road users of turning trucks on approach to the intersection and remind drivers that vehicles more than 7.5 metres in length are allowed to use two lanes to turn left from City Road.

Dynamic pedestrian sensor technology will also be deployed to detect the number of people waiting to cross and trigger changes to the traffic light signal timing, helping to prevent pedestrian crowding at the intersection.

Pedestrians will also be given a head start to cross the road before left-turning traffic is given the green arrow, and a new sign will be installed to remind motorists to give way to pedestrians.

The crossing itself will also be marked with bright yellow paint, making it more visible to road users in all conditions.

As part of the ongoing investigation of the site, the Department of Transport said it will continue to work with the City of Melbourne, the freight industry, local residents, traders and road users to finalise planning for additional safety treatments at the busy site.

Work on the first phase of improvements will be completed before the end of June.

Previous ArticleNext Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© All Rights Reserved. All content published on this site is the property of Prime Creative Media. Unauthorised reproduction is prohibited

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Close