As heavy rain continues to lash parts of Queensland and many roads are closed due to flooding, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for today.
“Intense rainfall that may lead to dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding is likely,” said BOM in a warning released at 10:37am this morning.
BOM has issued a warning for the following areas: Ipswich, Gympie, Somerset, Lockyer Valley, Sunshine Coast, Noosa, Brisbane City and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
The Bureau explained, “Very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area south of Gympie, Amamoor and Lowood. These thunderstorms are slow moving. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect the area southeast of Gympie by 11:00 am and Lake Manchester, Albany Creek and Kenilworth by 11:30 am.”
- Cooran recorded 133mm in 2 hours to 6:15am.
- Pomona (Hill St) recorded 106mm in the 1 hour to 7:30am.
- Mt Glorious recorded 164mm in the 3 hours to 10:30am.
- Withcott recorded 100mm in the 3 hours to 10:30am.
- Upper Lockyer Alert recorded 105mm in the 3 hours to 10:30am.
There current flood warnings in place are:
- Major Flood Warning for the Eyre Creek and Moderate Flood Warning for the Georgina River
- Major Flood Warning for the Mary River
- Moderate Flood Warning for the Baffle Creek and Minor Flood Warning for Kolan River
- Moderate Flood Warning for the lower Burnett River and Minor Flood Warning for the Stuart and Boyne Rivers
- Moderate Flood Warning for the Noosa and Maroochy rivers and Flood Warning for the Mooloolah River and Coochin Creek
- Moderate Flood Warning for the Paroo River (QLD)
- Moderate Flood Warning for the Upper Brisbane River
- Minor Flood Warning for the Moonie River
- Initial Flood Warning for the Weir River
- Initial Major Flood Warning for the Logan River and Moderate Flood Warning for the Albert River
- Initial Minor Flood Warning for Charleys Creek and Flood Warning for the Dogwood Creek catchments
- Initial Moderate Flood Warning for Laidley Creek and Minor Flood Warning for lower Lockyer Creek
- Flood Watch for parts of southeast Queensland
- Final Flood Warning for the Cooper Creek
- Final Flood Warning for the Diamantina River
Severe Weather Update: Major flooding, torrential rain continues for south-east Qld. Video current: 11.30am AEST 25 February 2022
— Bureau of Meteorology, Australia (@BOM_au) February 25, 2022
Numerous roads have been closed due to flooding including parts of the Bruce Highway, Brisbane Valley Highway, D’aguilar Highway, Isis Highway, Carnarvon Highway, Old Bruce Highway, Gold Coast Highway, New England Highway, Burnett Highway, Warrego Highway, Capricorn Highway, Peak Downs Highway and Leichhardt Highway.
⚠️⚠️EMERGENCY ALERT: LOCKYER VALLEY 11.20am Fri 25⚠️⚠️
An Emergency Alert has been issued for residents in the Lockyer Valley Regional Council area. Flash flooding is occurring and roads and bridges may be impacted. Residents are urged stay up-to-date 👇👇 https://t.co/5Y1mQSTtpL
— Queensland Police (@QldPolice) February 25, 2022